Share this:

Three years to the day after two small children died in a rental property where the agent had not fitted smoke alarms, the fire service yesterday issued a video urging agents and landlords to observe their legal responsibilities.

On February 20, 2016, three-year-old Logan Taylor and his brother Jake Casey, aged two, died in a fire in the family home in Huddersfield.

The letting agent, Kamal Bains, was jailed last July for 12 months for failing to fit smoke alarms in the house.

He had faced two manslaughter charges but midway through a two-week trial pleaded guilty to an alternative charge at Leeds Crown Court.

The court heard how the boys’ mother tried desperately to save them after the fire started in their bedroom, but was overcome by smoke.

 

Click here to continue reading this article